Friday, July 19, 2013

Day off means crafting galore!

I know I just posted a few days ago, but Brent and I finally had a day (kind of) off together resulting in a lot of the crafts we have had half finished to finally become finished and hung. They are all awesome and I'm so excited at how well they all turned out!!


 First up is this bookshelf. This book shelf has followed me through every move I've made--down to Cincinnati into 4 different apartments, back home for a year, and through 2 apartments so far in Cleveland. It has gotten a lot of wear and tear through these years due to both moving and because I'm obsessed with books so am constantly taking them off and putting them on. 
 Lucy however really enjoyed the empty book shelf and thought white was a fine color :)



We used I think four or five cans of spray paint in all to finish the shelf off. That doesn't include the part where the paper covered (so all of the backs of the shelves) 


 I found fun paper at Pat Catans to go with the new black color. Brent was in charge of sticking the scrapbook paper to the shelf because he is significantly more anal than I am about anything artsy so all the dots had to line up perfectly. I would almost bet putting on the paper took more time than applying paint 10 times. We used an adhesive spray glue which worked wonders! I was amazed actually at how sticky the glue was at easy it was to use. 
 Ta-da!!! what a difference a few coats of paint make and some scrap book paper :) 
And last but not least--my prides and joys. The book shelf would be more than full if I wouldn't have went out and bought a kindle :( 


Up next is this hideous picture we found on one of our Goodwill trips. 

I just covered the glass (and some of the frame, oops) in chalkboard spray paint. This as well took quite a few coats just to ensure that it was all even and thick enough to write on)

 I then bought recycled wine corks off of Amazon---I drink wine, but this project used almost 100 wine corks--I definitely don't drink that much, or am patient enough to save 100 wine corks. I did add some of my own corks in there that I had been saving. My favorite red wine made an appearance a few times as well as a cork from a bottle we got down in Georgia called One Hope that has proceeds that benefit children with Autism, which everyone knows holds a special place in my heart. I put all of the wine corks on using a hot glue gun and only managed to burn myself twice!

It has deemed its spot on our wall which we hung using command strips. I seriously use command strips for everything. They hold wonderfully and if I get bored of the location, which I often do, I can change the location without having to worry about covering up holes in my walls. 



and if you thought we couldn't possibly have done anything else yesterday, you are wrong!

I got the idea for this project from Pinterest, of course. I thought it was a neat idea to showcase some of the neat things Brent and I have done together over the course of our relationship. I modified it, obviously, but I think it turned out pretty darn neat. It is hanging over our mantle. I didn't want to take a picture too far back to show that it's above the mantle because I took down all the 4th of July decorations so the mantle is in the process of getting redone, so I didn't want to give anything away. 


How is all of that for a day's work! I'm super excited to still be finding things I want to do and decorate. On top of that, I managed to find another delicious and healthier recipe for us to try. 
This is a healthier version of a pasta salad. It still has mayonnaise in it, but I used mayonnaise that is made with olive oil so it isn't as bad for you. 
Recipe for Broccoli Grape Harvest Salad



For now--xo

1 comment:

  1. Love love love all your crafts! Maybe next time I'm up in your area I can swing by to check it out.

    ReplyDelete